A Basement or crawlspace may appear dry at the time of inspection. However, water issues may be present. Some indicators may include but are not limited to:
Pin-pointing the origin of the water penetration/moisture issues can be difficult, and usually requires several repairs prior to completely eliminating the water penetration concerns. These repairs include, but are not limited to:
- Exterior of the house must be properly sealed. This includes all windows, doors, and the siding materials.
- All gutters need to be kept cleared to ensure that they properly divert roof surface water.
- Flat/negative areas around the home’s exterior may require re-grading.
- Add French drains
- Add a sump pump and pit w/ a battery backup pump to ensure function if the power goes out. Test periodically.
- Add a dehumidifier to help reduce humidity levels during warmer months.
If these steps do not eliminate the water penetration concerns, additional repairs/steps will be needed.